Here is a fresh look at the area’s major high school football games on tap for tonight. We plan to cover them all.
C.R. WASHINGTON at IOWA CITY HIGH
- Time & place: 7:15 p.m. at Bates Field, Iowa City
- Records: Washington 1-0; City High 1-0
- Notable: Without doubt, biggest game in state tonight. Both warmed up with impressive Week 1 wins. No. 1 City High convincing in 38-7 triumph over Dubuque Wahlert; No. 3 Washington unveiled option attack in 28-10 win over Cedar Falls.
LINN-MAR at C.R. XAVIER
- Time & place: 7:15 p.m. at Saints Field
- Records: Linn-Mar 1-0; Xavier 1-0
- Notable: They’re still buzzing in Marion over Lions’ 21-17 victory over Cedar Rapids Kennedy. Linn-Mar rallied from 10 points down in final minutes and racked up 437 yards of offense. Jer German ran for 249 yards and three TDs. Class 4A No. 7 Xavier opened with dominating 28-0 win over Cedar Rapids Jefferson, allowing just 91 yards of offense. Colin O’Conner caught eight passes for 148 yards and three TDs.
C.R. JEFFERSON at C.R. KENNEDY
- Time & place: 7:15 p.m., at Kingston Stadium (Kennedy is the home team and its fans sit on the west side)
- Radio: KGYM-AM (1600)
- Records: Jefferson 0-1; Kennedy 0-1
- Notable: Both teams are coming off disappointing openers — Jefferson managed just 91 yards and fell to Cedar Rapids Xavier, 28-0, while Kennedy coughed up a 10-point lead in the final minutes in a 21-17 upset loss to Linn-Mar. The Cougars moved the ball well but were undone by a rash of penalties.
DUBUQUE SENIOR at C.R. PRAIRIE
- Time & place: 7:15 p.m., at Wall Field
- Records: Senior 0-1; Prairie 1-0
- Notable: Hawks, heavy favorites to move to 2-0, outgained Waterloo East 335-95 in 28-7 win in the opener. Adam Nelson was featured back, netting 160 yards on 22 carries with two TDs. Senior lost to Waterloo West.
IOWA CITY WEST at WATERLOO WEST
- Time & place: 7:15 p.m. at Memorial Stadium, Waterloo
- Records: Iowa City West is 0-1; Waterloo West is 1-0
- Notable: A victory over Dubuque Senior vaulted Waterloo West into the 4A rankings at No. 10. The Wahawks’ Conner McClain passed for 188 yards last week. Iowa City West, meanwhile, fell to Dubuque Hempstead, 38-21, in its opener.
MARION at OELWEIN
- Time & place: 7:30 p.m. at Oelwein
- Records: Marion 1-0; Oelwein 0-1
- Notable: Marion seeks second straight win over 3A District 3 foe tonight. Opened with 34-13 romp over Waukon in opener behind five TDs from Logan Pickering. Oelwein coming off a 21-6 loss to DeWitt Central.
IOWA CITY REGINA at MOUNT VERNON
- Time & place: 7:30 p.m. at Mount Vernon
- Records: Regina 1-0; Mount Vernon 0-1
- Notable: Regina opens at No. 6 in 2A poll after bruising 14-7 win over Clear Creek Amana. QB Jack Verducci rushed for 103 yards and passed for 100. Another difficult assignment for Mount Vernon after 49-10 loss at Solon, giving up 432 yards in the process. Matt Winder rushed for 146 yards.
WILLIAMSBURG at CENTER POINT-URBANA
- Time & place: 7:30 p.m. at Center Point
- Radio: WMT-AM (600)
- Records: Williamsburg 0-1; CPU 1-0
- Notable: Stormin’ Pointers play up a class second straight week. Passed first test, rallying past Benton Community, 14-13. Joey Dighton returned fumble 90 yards for go-ahead TD. Williamsburg on other side of comeback, squandering 19-point lead in 21-19 loss to Mid-Prairie.
SOLON at SIGOURNEY-KEOTA
- Time & place: 7 p.m. at Sigourney
- Records: Solon 1-0; Sigourney-Keota 1-0.
- Notable: Two-time defending Class 2A state champion Solon extended win streak to 28 games with 49-10 pasting of Mount Vernon. No. 1 Spartans scored seven TDs (four by RB James Morris), committed four turnovers and didn’t punt. Sigourney-Keota outlasted Pekin, 17-16.
WEST BRANCH at WILTON
- Time & place: 7:30 p.m. at Wilton
- Records: West Branch 1-0; Wilton 1-0.
- Notable: Another coaching battle between father (Butch Pedersen) and son (Lance Pedersen), won last year by Lance and Beavers. Class 1A No. 5 West Branch handled Tipton, 35-6 in opener, behind 126 rushing yards by Cole Kelly. Wilton edged Durant, 3-0.
SOUTH WINNESHIEK at POSTVILLE
- Time & place: 7:30 p.m. at Postville
- Records: South Winn 1-0; Postville 1-0
- Notable: South Winneshiek pounded Riceville, 52-6, in opener and rewarded with No. 10 ranking in Class 1A. QB Jordan Andera had a hand in five touchdowns, three on ground and two in air. Matt Schmelzer had 14 tackles, six for loss. Postville opened with 20-8 win over MFL MarMac.